Backup idea

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Jul 20 14:52:41 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 13:55, Alan H. Lake wrote:

> It appears that GnuCash stores its data in XML format.  I could use
> PHP to access the data, then write it out in CSV format.  Right now, I
> don't know all of the tags that I might encounter, but I do know which
> ones are being used in the file I need to back up.

Well, the semantics are always the problem, but it sounds like you have
a handle on it.

> Are there any ideas or suggestions that might expedite this project?

I'd recommend XSLT over PHP, but it's your project...

I believe someone's done a gnucash -> gnumeric XSLT transform in the
past; google is going to be your best bet, here.

If this is really a disaster-recovery scenario, I'd argue that you're
good in keeping the XML data file and the src/engine documentation.
Since the XML tag names map approximately 1-1 with engine concepts, and
the engine concepts pretty much define the data, you should be able to
get your data back out from that independent of the rest of the program.

...jsled

--
http://www.asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`