Backup idea

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 14:52:48 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 6:55, Alan H. Lake wrote:
> The request is to be able to back up the GnuCash data so that it could
> be read by Excel.

Why? This is DAFT!
:-)

> The thinking is that Linux machine are still in the
> minority and it would be good to be able to get at the data on a Windows
> machine in case of a disaster.

Isn't that the wrong way around? The Windows boxes are the ones that need the
disaster support! This is just someone trying to undermine your GnuCash usage
by proposing a 'backup solution' that would make it almost impossible to
recover the data back into GnuCash.

Just backup the GnuCash file like everyone else does - it's MUCH smaller than
an equivalent Excel spreadsheet. Try converting that without a copy of Excel.

> It appears that GnuCash stores its data in XML format.  I could use PHP
> to access the data, then write it out in CSV format.

And what good is it then to anybody? You can view it, well maybe part of it,
but you can't reconcile it, update it . . . Do you just keep the cover of
your DVD's and throw the disc away? Or pour your beer down the drain and keep
the can?!? While you're about it, just throw the Linux box away and change
everyone to Windows 3.11 with Quicken 3! That should be fun!???

> Right now, I don't
> know all of the tags that I might encounter, but I do know which ones
> are being used in the file I need to back up.

Why convert it at all? Just back it up.

> Are there any ideas or suggestions that might expedite this project?
Yes, use a sensible backup and put Linux on more machines!

--

Neil Williams