QuickBooks IIF file conversion to QIF for GnuCash import?

Jack Gates jack at morningstarcom.net
Sat Jul 24 14:38:46 EDT 2004

On Saturday 24 July 2004 01:24 pm, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Saturday 24 July 2004 5:52, Jack Gates wrote:
> > Does any one know if a QuickBooks (not Quicken) file exported as an IIF
> > (can only be exported in this format) can be read and converted by some
> > application to a QIF or OFX format, so it can be imported into GnuCash?
>
> Wouldn't you lose a lot of data? Doesn't QuickBooks do all those home
> inventory things that GnuCash and Quicken don't? That would explain the
> difference in the formats. How much of a QIF file does QuickBooks really
> import? IIRC it just took the basic structure and ignored most of the
> complex data, waiting instead for you to enter that by hand.

QuickBooks can do a lot of things but I am not an accountant and I probably
don't use 40% of the functionality of QuickBooks.  The way I have been using
QuickBooks I can use GnuCash instead and it will do what I need.  I am sure
one day GnuCash will have all the functionality of QuickBooks and maybe one
day I will have a need to learn all that other functionality.

> If Intuit don't make a filter, there *might* be a good reason.
>
> > What amazes me is QuickBooks can import a QIF file from Quicken but can't
> > export a QIF file.
>
> Quicken can export QIF. I think you mean Quicken can't export IIF. That is
> NOT surprising, you are asking an orange to export as an apple. A tangerine
> might be possible, but not an apple. Sorry.

Maybe I wrote the sentence wrong.  I was pointing out that QuickBooks can't
export QIF. QuickBooks can import QIF.  How much of the QIF is imported I
don't know.

--
Jack "Rhino" Gates, Registered Linux user #342662
Morning Star Communications, www.morningstarcom.net