Strange extra character in text reports

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Jun 3 05:41:47 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 01 Jun 2004 16:25, John Pettigrew wrote:
> In a previous message, "Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:
> > AFAIK, you could write a wrapper script which sets the locale as required
> > then executes gnucash with it's own customised environment.
>
> So that would affect GnuCash and nothing else? Any pointers on how to do
> this, because I've no idea where to start!

As Derek pointed out, GC has it's own start-up script already, which makes
life easy!

1. find gnucash ( try ~>which gnucash) in my case, /opt/gnome/bin/gnucash

1.5. you will need to be root from here onwards...

2. make a backup of this file (eg /opt/gnome/bin/gnucash.orig) - just in case!

3. edit /opt/gnome/bin/gnucash and add these 2 lines somewhere before the exec
line:

LANG="en_GB-ISO-8859-1"
export LANG

substitute whatever locale you want, if en_GB* is wrong for you...

4. drop root and start GC, and you should find the new locale settings
operative.

AFAIK, this will only affect all the child (and grandchild etc.) processes of
the gnucash script.

Note, you will have to make these changes again if you install a new version
of GC, as it will almost certainly install a default gnucash script  :-(

let me know how you get on.

Maf.