linking gnucash to data in postgres

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Mon Jun 21 12:40:46 EDT 2004

Benjamin Carlyle wrote:

> A ball is something you own: An asset.

doh. :-)

> It's all about the accounting equation, the cornerstone of double entry
> accounting:
>
> Assets = Liabilities + Owner's Equity

I have a reasonable (if only partially functional) understanding of this.
All the books I read are for businesses, most of which are not applicable
to me and so I ignore much of what I read.

> Depreciation is a tricky subject, well worth investigating with someone
> who knows what they're talking about in your jurisdiction before
> embarking on this kind of accounting setup. This was just a crash
> course.

I'll turn off depreciation on all my assets until then :-)

> Well, a commodity is really anything who's "units" can't readily be
> distinguished from each other.

fungible items, unlike soccer players and programmers.

> > what if you need to keep track of the brand, color and size of the soccer balls?
>
> That can't live in the financial records. Only how much they're worth
> and how many of them you have can really be handled by an accounting
> setup. What they are and what they mean are tricker concepts :)
> Essentially you'd have to have a separate commodity for each brand,
> color and size of soccer ball that you wanted to keep track of
> individually.

I see.

> I hope I'm not getting too hardcore for you :)

I found out that a soccer ball is an asset. This is a big step for me.
It's all pretty simple in hindsight, but I'll be damned if I can see
it ahead of time.

> Be warned: Tracking inventory through purely financial engine is not for
> the feint-hearted. I suggest using a tool that is built for the purpose
> if you're going to do it yourself.

this is what I'm trying to find out

Thanks Joe

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov