donating

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 23 13:26:36 EDT 2004

On Jun 23, 2004, at 9:31 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Scott176 <scott at multiline.com.au> writes:
>
>> I'd like to see a link direct into main menu and on the how-to-help
>> page. It'd
>> be great if there was a "donate to Gnucash" icon to go with it too.
>
> Ok, I'll bite.  Why is an icon any better than a text link?

How 'bout for nearly all the reasons that the vast majority of web
pages are no longer text only? Well designed icons provide visual
variety and an easy way to anchor attention to a location. Taken to
excess, they create clutter and confusion. I think we've been trained
(over a much longer period than the life of the web) to accept a larger
icon as being distinctive without being garish than we accept
emphasized text in large sizes when mixed with regular text.

> Either one would take you to the SF donation page, where you
> need to click yet another link/icon to donate...

Yeah, that need for another click is a real pain...

> -derek

Dave

--
David Reiser