donating

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 23 14:02:08 EDT 2004

David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net> writes:

> How 'bout for nearly all the reasons that the vast majority of web
> pages are no longer text only? Well designed icons provide visual
> variety and an easy way to anchor attention to a location. Taken to
> excess, they create clutter and confusion. I think we've been trained
> (over a much longer period than the life of the web) to accept a
> larger icon as being distinctive without being garish than we accept
> emphasized text in large sizes when mixed with regular text.

Which is fine unless you're blind.  Go ask my friend Sam about
what he thinks about icons.  ;)

>> Either one would take you to the SF donation page, where you
>> need to click yet another link/icon to donate...
>>

> Yeah, that need for another click is a real pain...

But this "real pain" isn't going away anytime soon...

IMHO a clear link (even if it's text) is sufficient.  It's not like
the page is cluttered with content.  It's two paragraphs.  So we
add another link, in a third paragraph all by itself, to make it
distinctive..

*shrugs*