More digit in currency

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 24 08:59:35 EDT 2004

"Riki Kurniawan" <riki at mms.co.id> writes:

> Is it a known bug in 1.8.6? Btw I use GNUCash included in mandrake 9.1.2 distro.

There have been a LOT of bugs fixed since 1.8.6.  Go read the ChangeLog
to see.  See http://cvs.gnucash.org/ to read the sources out of CVS, and
then read the 1.8 branch's ChangeLog.

> I still think that the best practical solution for this problem is
> to allow me to enter an invoice in it's real value not 1/1000 of
> it's value. I believe that the data-type used is supporting this as
> you said that GC use 2^63/2^64 to represent the numbers, maybe there
> is a way to change this to become 2^67/2^60 as we wouldn't need the
> denominator that big anyway. I believe this will benefit lot of
> people that need to enter big number in their transactions.

No, there's no way to do this.  Right now gnc_numeric is:

struct{
 gint64 num;
 guint64 denom;  (this actually might be gint64)
};

There's just no way to bit-shift numbers out of the numerator and into
the denominator.  Sorry.  But I still don't see how you're getting
this behavior.  Can you provide a step-by-step solution to explain to
us how to reproduce the problem?