More digit in currency

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Jun 24 10:31:14 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 03:59:00PM +0000, Riki Kurniawan was heard to remark:
> I have done some experiments by changing all account smallest fraction
> to 1/100000 and enter all transaction 1/1000 of it's actual value. For

I don't think you are using the program correctly. The smallest
currency unit should be one penny or whatever you call "one penny"
in your currency. That's it. There is nothing smaler than the
smallest currency unit.  If your friend, customer or bank can't
physically, actually give you something smaller, then you shouldn't
be counting in anything smaller either.

In the US, there are 100 pennies in a dollar.  Thus, for US currency,
the fraction is 1/100.  That's it.  Nothing smaller than that, no
half-pennies.  This allows amounts as large as $92,233,720,368,547,758.08
to be represented, which is more money than there is in the whole wide
world.

What is the name of the currency you are trying to use?

--linas