More digit in currency

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 24 10:53:25 EDT 2004

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 03:59:00PM +0000, Riki Kurniawan was heard to remark:
>> I have done some experiments by changing all account smallest fraction
>> to 1/100000 and enter all transaction 1/1000 of it's actual value. For
>
> I don't think you are using the program correctly. The smallest
> currency unit should be one penny or whatever you call "one penny"
> in your currency. That's it. There is nothing smaler than the
> smallest currency unit.  If your friend, customer or bank can't
> physically, actually give you something smaller, then you shouldn't
> be counting in anything smaller either.

I suspect you're correct in that he's misrepresenting the number of
decimal digits.

> In the US, there are 100 pennies in a dollar.  Thus, for US currency,
> the fraction is 1/100.  That's it.  Nothing smaller than that, no
> half-pennies.  This allows amounts as large as $92,233,720,368,547,758.08
> to be represented, which is more money than there is in the whole wide
> world.
>
> What is the name of the currency you are trying to use?

In his first email in this thread he said he's using IDR:

   ( "Indonesian Rupiah" "rupiah" "sen" "ISO4217" "IDR" "360" 100 1 )

There's an exchange rate of USD 1 = IDR 9000 involved, but I don't
see how that can get him up to 1/10^12!  I suspect you are correct
in that he's misusing gnucash..   Or there's a bug in the invoice
system or register where we use 1/10^6 in the number cells...
The way the register re-interprets itself is just bogus, IMHO,
but I have no clue if it's related.  Mr. Kurniawan has not provided
a recipe to reproduce this problem, yet.