negative amount showing up in 91+ days

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 24 09:27:37 EDT 2004

Hi,

Martin Hicks <mort at bork.org> writes:

> The problem is that I have one account that shows
> a negative owing in the "91+ days" area of the customer report.

That's REALLY STRANGE..

> I have placed screen shots of the customer report up here:
>
> http://www.bork.org/~mort/account1.ps
> http://www.bork.org/~mort/account2.ps

This isn't really a screen shot, and the numbers were a bit hard to
read, but yea, it's clearly showing -$105.00 in the 91+ days
column.

> which shows that the account is completely balanced, with the exception
> of Invoice 74.  That is the complete history of the customer.

Well, I'm not sure how you see that.  The problem is related to the
fact that some invoices aren't properly "paid".  If you look in the
Business -> Find Invoice window and search for all invoices owned by
this customer you'll probably see that not all the invoices have been
properly paid.

There's definitely a bug in this code, somewhere, because a number of
people have hit it, but for the life of me NOBODY has been able to
reproduce it or explain what they did to get gnucash into this state.
I've never been able to see it here in my tests.

But basically the invoice post/unpost and payment post process seems
to get itself into a snit and not properly attribute payments to your
invoices.

> Any help or suggestions on how to debug this further would be greatly
> appreciated.

1) Take a look at your invoice list, see which invoices are/are-not marked
as "paid"
2) Take a look at your A/R account and try to figure out why those invoices
aren't considered "paid".
3) If you can give me a recipe to reproduce this situation I would GREATLY
appreciate it.  In particular, did you unpost invoices or manually change
any payment transactions?