More digit in currency

Riki Kurniawan riki at mms.co.id
Mon Jun 21 21:16:00 EDT 2004

Hi,

this is why I want to send the screenshot of what i've done :-)

>> I don't think you are using the program correctly. The smallest
>> currency unit should be one penny or whatever you call "one penny"
>> in your currency. That's it. There is nothing smaler than the
>> smallest currency unit.  If your friend, customer or bank can't
>> physically, actually give you something smaller, then you shouldn't
>> be counting in anything smaller either.
>
>I suspect you're correct in that he's misrepresenting the number of
>decimal digits.

I don't think that you guys understand my problem, basicly I just want to enter a transaction in
the invoice, bill or expense voucher with a number bigger than 9,223,372,04 (please try this and you will see what I mean). For instance if I enter 10,000,000.00 in the  Unit Price column of the Edit Invoice form (in menu Business|Customer|New Invoice) it will become -8,446,744.00!

This problem lead me to experiments using fractions. Instead of writing 10,000,000.00  I wrote 10,000.00 that means I wrote 1/1000 of it's real value just to allow me enter the number in my invoice. By this convention if I want to write 9,500.00 (real value) I should enter it in it's 1/1000 value which is 9.50. In order to enter transaction in cents ('sen' in IDR) I should reserve 2 more decimal digits, that's why I change all my accounts Smallest Fraction to 1/100000 (GC allow up to 1/1000000 actually).

Obviously this is not the way it should be done, but there is no other way for me to enter 10,000,000.00 in the invoice. Any idea?

>> In the US, there are 100 pennies in a dollar.  Thus, for US currency,
>> the fraction is 1/100.  That's it.  Nothing smaller than that, no
>> half-pennies.  This allows amounts as large as $ 92,233,720,368,547,758.08
>> to be represented, which is more money than there is in the whole wide
>> world.

I agreed with you 100%, but this is not the case. In the  invoice form I can't enter transaction bigger than 9,223,372,04!

>There's an exchange rate of USD 1 = IDR 9000 involved, but I don't

I don't use multi-currency yet, I put the exchange rate just to illustrate that it's common to have the number 10,000,000.00 or more in one transaction.

>in that he's misusing gnucash..   Or there's a bug in the invoice
>system or register where we use 1/10^6 in the number cells...

Maybe it can be increased so that I can enter bigger number there, up to 12-digits will be nice.

>The way the register re-interprets itself is just bogus, IMHO,
>but I have no clue if it's related.  Mr. Kurniawan has not provided
>a recipe to reproduce this problem, yet.

I can send you screenshots or the actual database (under 10kb in compressed format)