List rules

Stewart V. Wright svwright+lists at amtp.liv.ac.uk
Tue Jun 29 09:44:18 EDT 2004

G'day Johan,

* Johan Sch <johansche at absamail.co.za> [040629 14:27]:
> I am new to this list.

Welcome!

> Does this list also keep to the rule that all questions and answers go via list unless VERY personal then direct.

List rules???  Nope.  I think you have pretty much summed up the
appropriate behaviour.

> Would like it to be via list then all members benefit? :)

Absolutely!  The point of this list is that it is a _searchable_ (and
that is a major hint!) collection of replies to previous
questions/problems.  Don't be afraid to ask something, just do some leg
work before you post (but don't worry when you get caught out by
asking a dumb question).

If you are new to mailing lists you _might_ want to have a look at

Don't take it for gospel, just as motivation.

The main thing you are doing right so far is putting _relevant_
information in the subject line.  Don't go with something like
"PROBLEM!!!" as most people will just delete your question out of
hand.  This is also mentioned in the FAQ I pointed you to...
  http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#bespecific

A personal bugbear that is forgivable for those who have English as
their second language, but NOT (in my opinion) for those that have it
as their first is the use of language.  I think the FAQ sums it up
well:  "Spell, punctuate, and capitalize correctly"  (although the
majority of English speakers worldwide will tell you that capitalise
has an 's' in it, not a 'z', but we do make some allowances for the
Americans... :-P )
  http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#writewell

My point is that _again_ you are doing the right thing.  Your
questions are clearly stated and easy to read.  You will get help as
you are helping those who read your questions.  :-)

Saying all this I should point out that the majority of us (myself
included) on this list are just users like yourself.  There are a few
developers around but this list runs so well because people contribute
and help out.  Saying that, nothing I have said above is list policy
in any way, shape, or form.  Read some messages that other people are
posting and use that as your motivation when you want to post a
message.

Enough posturing I think.  Welcome to the club, and I look forward to
the day when you can start answering questions for another new member!

Cheers,

S.