Invoice starting number (yes I know it's a FAQ...)

Chris Dennis chris.dennis at ndirect.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 05:27:22 CST 2004

Hello Gnucash People

Yes, I know all the documentation says that I can set the starting
invoice number by toying with the XML code, but I can't get it to work.

If I create a new file called, say, 'test', GnuCash creates an XML file
of that name, which includes near the top:

<gnc:count-data cd:type="account">76</gnc:count-data>
<gnc:count-data cd:type="transaction">1</gnc:count-data>
<gnc:count-data cd:type="gnc:GncCustomer">1</gnc:count-data>
<gnc:count-data cd:type="gnc:GncInvoice">1</gnc:count-data>
<gnc:count-data cd:type="gnc:GncEntry">2</gnc:count-data>

So I changed the GncInvoice number to 200, restarted GnuCash, and
created a new invoice.  It was given number 2, rather than 200 or 201 as
I'd hoped.

Looking at the XML again, I see that the number in the 'test' XML file
has reverted to 2, but that there's also a file called
'test.blah.blah.xac' which contains the valued 200 that I'd put there.

Can anyone give step-by-step instructions on setting the starting
invoice number?

I'm running version 1.8.8 on Debian Linux.c

regards

Chris

Chris Dennis                       chris.dennis at ndirect.co.uk