Invoice starting number (yes I know it's a FAQ...)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 2 01:17:01 CST 2004

Chris Dennis <chris.dennis at ndirect.co.uk> writes:

> Hello Gnucash People
>
> Yes, I know all the documentation says that I can set the starting
> invoice number by toying with the XML code, but I can't get it to work.
>
> If I create a new file called, say, 'test', GnuCash creates an XML
> file of that name, which includes near the top:
>
> <gnc:count-data cd:type="account">76</gnc:count-data>
> <gnc:count-data cd:type="transaction">1</gnc:count-data>
> <gnc:count-data cd:type="gnc:GncCustomer">1</gnc:count-data>
> <gnc:count-data cd:type="gnc:GncInvoice">1</gnc:count-data>
> <gnc:count-data cd:type="gnc:GncEntry">2</gnc:count-data>
>
> So I changed the GncInvoice number to 200, restarted GnuCash, and
> created a new invoice.  It was given number 2, rather than 200 or 201
> as I'd hoped.

These are object-counts, not the counters...  Changing these wont help
you at all.  These are just used to help the file loader provide decent
"percentage loaded" UI feedback.

> Looking at the XML again, I see that the number in the 'test' XML file
> has reverted to 2, but that there's also a file called
> 'test.blah.blah.xac' which contains the valued 200 that I'd put there.

That's a backup file.

> Can anyone give step-by-step instructions on setting the starting
> invoice number?

Look in your main data file and you'll see the COUNTER.  Change it.
The count-data is not the counter.  The counter is in a kvp "slot".