Correct way to deal with a credit note in 1.8.7

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 1 19:49:13 CST 2004

Hi,

"Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> I hope someone can help me with this -
>
> I've been using 1.8.7 for a while for business accounts, and I am having
> difficulty with entering details for a vendor who has issued a credit note,
> to rebate a bill which overcharged me.

Try unposting the bill and changing it to the actual amount they
billed you...

> My first thought was to enter it in GC as a "negative bill" - which made my
> AP add up, but then when I paid the balance in the normal way, I ended up
> with the bills due reminder still wanting an additional payment.

Yea, that wont work.

> So I unposted the "negative bill" and tried to make a payment from the
> relevant expense account, which also didn't work. (couldn't transfer from
> the expense account in the payment dialogue)

True, but you CAN modify the "payment" transaction after-the-fact in the
register.

> I also tried a manual refund from the expense account to the AP account, but
> then the bills due reminder still didn't know about the refunded credit
> note.

Yea, you can't do that.

> Anybody got any suggestions how I can make GC cope with this situation
> correctly?
>
> I'm sure that someone out there must have met this problem before!

Not really..  Seriously, the best way is probably to change the actual
bill..  Or apply the credit to your next bill.