What to use for Red Hat Enterprise Server 3 ES?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Mar 2 19:46:45 CST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:58:22AM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
>   Martin Hicks <mort at bork.org>,
>   In a message on Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:59:57 -0500, wrote :
>

> MH> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:58:02AM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> MH> >   Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer at exit109.com>,

> MH> > You *may* have to install various dependent RPMs.  Also, try installing
> MH> > the GnuCash RPMS for RH 7.x.
> MH>
> MH> That will almost certainly not work.  RHEL3.0 uses NPTL.
>
> OK.  It was just a thought.  It is my understanding that the RH server
> releases have tended to be a 'version' or so behind the 'retail'
> releases (trading greater stability for less 'bleeding edge support').
> *Servers* tend to use less exotic hardware (eg low-end video cards, no
> sound cards, etc.).

Actually, this might not be an insurmountable problem. I've run, on
WS 3.0 a multithreaded program that was compiled on WS 2.1 and it
ran fine. All you gotta do is set (and this is from memory, so take
with salt):
	LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

More surprising, I've run the same program but after compiling it on
WS 3.0 both with and without that environment set, and without it, the
prog runs as a single process in the process table (as it should), and
with it, the program runs as multiple processes as on older kernels.
In both cases it appears to run fine (not exhaustively tested).

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding