[Fwd: Re: What to use for Red Hat Enterprise Server 3 ES?]

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Tue Mar 2 11:25:05 CST 2004

 > I was in the same situation but I figured it out.  Have less hair now
 > as a result.  Since I thought I might need to do this again I kept
 > notes.  I am attaching an OpenOffice doc that explains the
 > dependencies, what packages (and versions) and from what RH releases
 > to get them.  Since you have RHEL3 ES I am assuming that you have
 > OpenOffice.  There are some comments to myself in the document
 > concerning where I'm backing up the non-RHEL3 packages in case I need
 > to do this again.  Ignore these.  I suggest you work from the bottom>
 > of the list up to avoid dependancy gliches.

 > Once your up and running you can safely remove all packages with
 > "devel" in the name.  There needed for building but not running.

I went through your list as well as I could. Since I have only the RHL9
CD-ROMs, a few of the files were a little old. I had to use --nodeps in
cases where it said it needed package xxx-1.2.3 and I had xxx-1.2.3-4
and such like. Then the gnucash rpm installed and mostly works, but
transaction report does not: grumbles about error in processing but not
divulging what the error might be. Now I guess I should download the
update rpms for RHL9 onto my RHL9 machine, scp them over to the one with
the CD-burner, sneakernet that over to the next, etc.

Not much fun. I really want the new machine up so I can put XP on this
one so I can run TurboTax. Time pressure... 8-(

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.