Correct way to deal with a credit note in 1.8.7

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 2 16:21:37 CST 2004

"Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> writes:

>> Try unposting the bill and changing it to the actual amount they
>> billed you...
>>

> <SNIP>
>
>> -derek
>
> Makes sense, but somehow feels "wrong" as I have 2 physical bits of paper,
> with 2 different supplier ref. numbers - therefore vendor report doesn't
> show the whole picture for that particular account.

Yea, I understand.  There just is no way to deal with this.  GnuCash
just does not handle "negative invoices", and probably never will due
to some design choices I made a long time ago.

Your best bet really is to either change the original invoice or make
it a "payment" (which you can later change to choose the correct
expense account that got credited).  However you should note that this
wont reduce your taxes paid.