About paying bill...

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 8 21:18:45 CST 2004

Please remember to CC: gnucash-user on ALL responses...

Patrick GELIN <patrick.gelin at free.fr> writes:

> ok, It's difficult to give you a roadmap because I'm a beginner and I
> crate/edit/delete before to understand how it's gone... But I'm just
> getting something very interesting, which is that invoice appears into
> my account manager under column "action" not "payed" but only
> "pre-payed". What does that mean? I tried to change the action, and I
> remark that "pre-payment" doesn't appear into the list, there is only
> "credit; rate; payed" (I'm not sure to translate correctly because I'm
> french so all is in french...)

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "pre-payed" in the
action column?  The invoice transaction will always say "Invoice" in
the Action column, and a payment will always say "Payment" in the
action column.  This is hard-coded and has no relation to anything.

Also, I'll note that you cannot change the action field in the invoice
transaction (or, indeed, ANYTHING in the invoice transaction).  You can
change the payment transaction, but again the action has no bearing on
this issue.

Similarly, the reconcile column is irrelevant in the A/R register.
It, too, has no bearing on anything.

> I try to change Pre-payment to payment but my problem is already here...
> There is some invoices which are not in "active" sate, so I check
> "active" state for all invoice. I remember to uncheked "active" state
> last week after processed payment...

Well, this would hide invoices...  It MAY be affecting you, but I
don't think so.

> I try to process pyment again (/enterprise/find invoice/process payment)
> and it's OK!!! GREAT BUT WAY??? Really I don't know.

Well, if you removed all the payments, first, it's going back and
clearing out all the existing transactions, so nothing would be paid
anymore.

> If you have an idea I give you some explanations about what I've done...
> thanks.

Well, all I can imagine is that you post an invoice, pay the invoice,
then unpost it, change it (changing the invoice's value), and then
repost it.  But again, I have no idea how or why this would cause
problems.

If you were able to tell me the exact sequence of posts/unposts,
changes, and payments that you did, to get into the state you got
into, I'd greatly appreciate it.