About paying bill...

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 9 09:04:54 CST 2004

ok, since you fail to be to able to reply to gnucash-user, I'll force
the issue...

Patrick GELIN <patrick.gelin at free.fr> writes:

> Now I remember something. When I payed my invoices it was 29 february,
> 2004 and I selected 1 march, 2004 because the Bank Web Site said it'll
> be taking account only monday... So my computer date was before the
> invoice payment...and after I've seen the 'pre-payment' value into the
> "action" column. I'm agree with you there is no "pre-payment" selection
> into the drop list but the value was "pre-payment"....

Ahh..  The "Pre-Payment" means you applied a payment to a customer
before you posted the invoice...  It has nothing to do with the dates
you used, again those are irrelevant.  The issue at hand with the
pre-payment is that you went through "process payment" for a customer
when there were no outstanding invoices to be paid.

> Yesturday it was 8 march, 2004 and I payed my invoices always with 1
> march, 2004 and it's gone (because my computer date was older than the
> invoice payment date). I notice today there is always two payment with a
> problem, I don't know why but I'll try again this evening...

Like I said, the actual date should have no effect.

>> If you were able to tell me the exact sequence of posts/unposts,
>> changes, and payments that you did, to get into the state you got
>> into, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> 1. I created the invoice
> 2. I posted it (unposted then re-posted)
> 3. I payed it

I've tested this numerous times and it's always worked for me...

Indeed, the pictures you showed me indicate that you are not using the
business feature at all.  At least, not until Feb 28, 2004.  All the
2003 transactions were outside the business features, so they are
ignored.

So, as far as the business features are concerned:

1) you posted an invoice for A.A. on 2004-02-02 for 229.20
2) you applied a payment to A.A. on 2004-01-03 for 229.20
3) you applied ANOTHER payment to S.F.G. on 2004-01-03 for 356.00

All the rest of the transactions in the register are irrelevant, as
they were not created through the business features.

The "Paye" column is also irrelevant -- it has no meaning and should
be ignored (indeed, the next version of gnucash hides that column).

So, based on this, this is user error, incorrectly using the A/R and
A/P accounts.  You should not enter transactions by hand into A/R and
A/P, you absolutely MUST use the Invoice/Bill interface.

Enjoy,