Privacy

Donald Henson wepin at wepin.com
Thu Mar 11 07:44:01 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 21:16, Scott Minster wrote:

> Jim Woodruff wrote:
> > My computer is accessed by the entire family and my kids friends.
> > Is there a way to password gnucash or its data files? I've searched
> > the help files and man pages without success.
>
> The easiest way to do this is to make a separate 'gnucash' account that
> owns your data file.  Set the permissions on the data file to be 600 or
> something like that so that the gnucash user can read and write, but
> other users cannot read or write.  Then, when you want to access your
> data, you first 'su' to the gnucash user (and enter the password) before
> you run gnucash.  You can also do this as a single command:
>
>    su - gnucash -c /usr/bin/gnucash
>
> Just make sure not to leave GnuCash running!

In general, it's not a good idea to run any application software as
root. A better way is to set up a separate user account, call it
Accounts or something like that, with it's own unique password. Then you
can run gnucash as a user. However, you should be able to set up file
permissions to restrict access also. That's why I asked what OS he is
running.

Don Henson