Privacy

Bill Wisse wiswp at niue.nu
Thu Mar 11 19:59:12 CST 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 17:16, Scott Minster wrote:
> Jim Woodruff wrote:
> > My computer is accessed by the entire family and my kids friends.
> > Is there a way to password gnucash or its data files? I've searched
> > the help files and man pages without success.
>
> The easiest way to do this is to make a separate 'gnucash' account that
> owns your data file.  Set the permissions on the data file to be 600 or
> something like that so that the gnucash user can read and write, but
> other users cannot read or write.  Then, when you want to access your
> data, you first 'su' to the gnucash user (and enter the password) before
> you run gnucash.  You can also do this as a single command:
>
>    su - gnucash -c /usr/bin/gnucash

This is a possible way of working but I agree with OP.
Gnucash should be password protected. I'm using GC for almost 2 years now and
I always wondered why this is not possible.
IANAP but it must be easy to do this? Derek?

--
Greetings from

/bill at 169 west , 19 south.

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are
transmission errors."