Privacy

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Mar 12 08:07:36 CST 2004

In message <20040312085044.346efab7.listmail at allenz.net>, Allen Ziegenfus write
s:
>On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:34:34 -0800
>Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com> wrote:
>
>> Jim Woodruff <james.woodruff at comcast.net> writes:
>>
>> > My computer is accessed by the entire family and my kids friends.
>> > Is there a way to password gnucash or its data files? I've searched
>> > the help files and man pages without success.
>>
>> Use Unix security:
>>
>>   $ chmod 700 gnucashdir
>>
>> Log out when you're not using the machine. Give each member of your
>> family and their friends their own account.
>>

>How do people  actually do this in practice? I long for fast user
>switching ala XP or OS X where you can leave your apps running while
>someone else logs on. The only way I've heard of to do it with Linux is
>to run more than one X server process.

The 'su' command is one option.

Generally, though it is considered a 'bad thing' to just stay logged in
on a *shared* machine, as this is a security risk.  Oh, 'expert' UNIX
users don't always use resource heavy desktops (like Gnome or KDE).  And
for 'lightweight' tasks, like checking mail, this can be done with a
console window instead of firing up X11.

Another option is getting each 'user' their own 'Xterm' box -- that is a
cheap low-end machine (traditionally diskless, but disks are really
cheap these days).  Each user logs in to their personal box and then
sshes/slogins to the main machine and runs their applications
'remotely', using the X server on the cheap box, with the application
running the main machine.

OTOH, it is also possible to run non-interactive jobs in the background
using 'nohup ... &' (usually with nice).