Stock Spin-offs

Bobby Goins goins at iglou.com
Fri Mar 12 07:35:58 CST 2004

I FINALLY got around to "cleaning up" my import from MS Money.

I can now say that I understand the "hows and whys" for the accounts,
and spent much time putting things in the right places.

Anyway, one thing that I cannot decide on is a "stock spin-off".  That
is, in my case, where General Motors spun off Delphi and Raytheon.  I
have the subsequent entries done, but how do I handle the "creation" of
the account?  Do I consider it as "other income:gift", as "income:GM
dividend", or some sort of "asset:GM stock" manipulation?

(BTW: For the programmers; PLEASE create a search for the mailing list
archives.)