Privacy

Robert Uhl ruhl at 4dv.net
Fri Mar 12 13:03:53 CST 2004

Bill Wisse <wiswp at niue.nu> writes:

> House with one computer .
> Computer is running.
> There comes your son ( and friend) Dad, Dad can I burn my CD?
> Put in CD and start burning, but they can also click on GC and open it, not
> that I have any secrets but they can.

He should log in as himself and burn his cd.  This is all very doable,
and easy.

> If anybody knows a solution for this problem ( apart from " don't let
> him do that , or tell him to log in as a different user) I'll be glad
> to hear that.

What's wrong with assigning a user id to each user?  It's safer, it's
more secure, it means that the kids cannot damage the computer, it means
that they cannot install things they shouldn't.  It's the Right Thing.

--
Robert Uhl <ruhl at 4dv.net>
The people who once bestowed commands, consulships, legions, and all