Privacy

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Mar 11 06:23:13 CST 2004

  Jim Woodruff <james.woodruff at comcast.net>,
  In a message on Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:21:18 -0800, wrote :

JW> My computer is accessed by the entire family and my kids friends.
JW> Is there a way to password gnucash or its data files? I've searched
JW> the help files and man pages without success.

What you do is:

	Create separate accounts (with separate groups ala RedHat's
useradd).  Create an account for you, and additional accounts for your
family, kids, and your kids friends.  Park the gnucash info in *your*
under your home directory and protect your directory (chmod -R go-rwx
~jim).  So long as you don't give sudo access to your family, kids, or
your kids friends, you should be OK.  You could create a group for you
and your wife, if it makes sense to 'share' the family checking account.
Change the group (chgrp) for this checking account file (separate from
any 'business' account file).

Man pages to visit:

man group
man chown