out of the party...

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Fri Mar 12 19:04:36 CST 2004

Please CC: gnucash-user on all traffic [we want the
list-processors/google to pick it up for searchability, &c.]

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 16:38, Dr. Jones wrote:

> I found one problem. The commands you told me to run, worked until
> running this:
>
> >% file /usr/bin/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash-env
> >/usr/bin/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash-env: Bourne shell script text executable
> >
> This renders the following:
>
> scott:/usr/share/doc/gnucash-docs# file
> /usr/bin/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash-env
> /usr/bin/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash-env: cannot open
> (/usr/bin/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash-env)

Ah ... my apologies.  The command should be:

% file /usr/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash-env

> The prior commands worked though...the following renders a similar error:
>
> >% file /usr/bin/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash
> >/usr/bin/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash: Bourne shell script text executable

The same should be true, there:
% file /usr/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash

> I am dying to know what those commands mean, what they tell you and how
> that can help me get around this problem.

[The `file` command looks at a file and attempts to pattern-match it
 against a database of file types.  `man file` for more info.]

Gnucash has a slightly-convoluted startup mechanism involving 2.5
scripts to bootstrap guile [a scheme interpreter] into an appropriate
state.

% /usr/bin/gnucash
 -> /usr/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash
 -> /usr/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash-env
    -> guile /usr/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash
       -> guile main-loop in scheme
          -> C-lang module loading
          -> GTK main loop
            [-> back into scheme, at times].

...where /usr/libexec/gnucash/overrides/gnucash is a dual-purpose
SH/guile script.
It looks like something near the script/guile handoff is faulty.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is or how to solve it.  From what
I understand, you're not the only person to have this problem, however.
In furtherance of James Treacy's questions: how did you install
gnucash?  Are you using the packages provided at the URL indicated?

...jsled

--
http://www.asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`
# A: Because it breaks the flow of normal conversation.