Trying to build GnuCash 1.8.8 from source for RHEL3

John Reynolds gnucash at reynj.fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 16 07:34:45 CST 2004

[snip]

> >>I started this, not expecting it to be fast. Problems have ensued, but I
> >>  am not sure they are dependency problems or not. The ./configure
> >>process fails for some of the components:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I seem to remember a discussion on this subject sometime in the last
> > month or two, with some instructions on how to make it work. I'm sorry I
> > can not be of direct help. Check the archives, I believe this has been
> > addressed.
>
> The best I found was to try a mix of the current distribution, and
> missing stuff from Red Hat Linux 9. I tried that and I could get GnuCash
> (whatever version is on RHL9) to come up and do some things, but it
> crashed on needed reports).
Do you still have the RHL9 Version installed, if so, did you check that
gconfd-1 is running? That is a common reason for report failure.

> I decided to bite the bullet and build it
> from source from the official sources. I did not expect the configure
> steps to crash.
From your original message, it seems that libxml is not installed... but you
have already checked that. Have you checked the output in config.log ?

Sorry, perhaps someone else will have the answer when the mailing lists come
back up.

John R