Saving Custom Check Formats

Jim jstead1 at twcny.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 20:50:43 CST 2004

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 01:29 pm, Mike wrote:
> I am running gnucash 1.8.7 on Mandrake 9.1
>
> Everytime I close my check register my custom check format is lost and I
> have to re-enter it before I can print more checks.  I saved the register
> before closing it but that didn't help.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
The only way to save custom check layouts is to modify
/usr/share/gnucash/scm/printing/print-check.scm
Make a backup first, then no matter how badly you screw up, you just copy the
old one back.
The file is pretty self explanatory for simple layout changes.
I modified one of the default types rather than add a new one (mainly because
it's a lot easier)
If it's just a matter of moving a few fields around, it should be a piece of
cake.  You'll see field descriptions in the file and numbers that are
coordinates in points (1/72 inch, it says so right in the file).
Oh, and backup the custom print-check.scm file somewhere.  The next time you
install GnuCash, it will be overwritten and you will have to restore your
custom file.
--
Jim