Gnucash 1.8.8 fails to build on Solaris 9

jritorto at nut.net jritorto at nut.net
Wed Mar 24 22:38:56 EST 2004

Hi,
	I downloaded the source, untarred it and ran

  ./configure --use-included-gettext

as per the instructions in doc/build-solaris.txt, but the build
immediately failed thusly:

configure: error: --use-included-gettext: invalid option; use --help to
show usage

I have gmake installed:
# gmake --version
GNU Make 3.80
This is free software; see [...]

Here's my config.log:
# cat config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:841: checking for non-GNU ld
configure:876: checking if the linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) is GNU ld
GNU ld version 2.11 (with BFD 2.11)
configure:897: checking for gcc
configure:1010: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:1026: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
configure:1052: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a
cross-compiler
configure:1057: checking whether we are using GNU C
configure:1066: gcc -E conftest.c
configure:1085: checking whether gcc accepts -g
configure:1157: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:1210: checking whether build environment is sane
configure:1267: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:1313: checking for working aclocal
configure:1326: checking for working autoconf
configure:1339: checking for working automake
configure:1352: checking for working autoheader
configure:1365: checking for working makeinfo
#

What gives?  Does gnucash not actually work under unix?  Is it Linux only?
I need this software for my business if I'm to ever get away from the
Intuit cruft, which I'd hoped to do before the end of this quarter..

thanks in advance,

jacob ritorto