List settings

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Sun May 30 15:01:02 EDT 2004

Bill Wisse wrote:
> On Sunday 30 May 2004 01:12, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>
>>John Arrowwood wrote:
>>
>>>Actually, what I mean is, the headers of the messages sent to the list
>>>are not what I expect.
>>>I expect a "Reply-To" header that lists the list address.  Of course,
>>>the REASON that I expect that is because of the fact that all the other
>>>lists I've been on have worked that way.  Doesn't mean it SHOULD.
>>>
>>>But you know, it kinda sucks getting two copies of the same
>>>message...one from the guy that replied, and one from the list, because
>>>he cc'd the list.
>>>
>>>With a Reply-To header, hitting Reply would set the To: address to the
>>>list.  Sure, to reply only to the individual requires extra work.  You
>>>have to change the address.  But most traffic should be on-list or
>>>off-list, not both, right?
>>>
>>>Oh, well.  It's just weird for me, that's all.  I'll adapt.  That's the
>>>joy of being human! :)
>>
>>With my Mozilla Linux mailer, if I click reply, it goes to the author
>>only, not the list. The other reply option is Reply All which sends to the
>>list and the author. I hate getting replies like that, because I sometimes
>>go to all the trouble to reply, and only the original author gets it. So I
>>must ReplyAll, delete the To entry, change the CC entry to To, and then
>>send, as I do now. Since no other mailing list seems to do this, I
>>frequently forget.
>

> The list suse-linux-e at suse.com works like this as well.
> People get all confused and heated debates come up sometimes.

I suppose it is a religious matter, and either all newsreaders should
follow the same religion, or all mailing lists should follow the same
religion. I do not really care, but the inconsistency cause me to behave
in what can appear to be a rude manner whichever reply button I press.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.