Profit account, crash, sort accounts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 4 09:26:30 EST 2004

John Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> writes:

> 1) How do we transfer profit to a capital account?
> I cannot tell where the profit is being stored.

The profit is computed from Income.  It is "stored" in the fact that
you have income transactions.  It sounds like you want to "close the
books".  Gnucash has no feature to automatically do that.  However the
reports should deal just fine with non-zero'd accounts, so there is
really no need to zero it out.

> 2) In order to make use of my account numbers, I am putting the account
> numbers in the name:   "613.0 Rent"
> Somehow a fixed asset account got to the top of my "Accounts Summary", even
> though it starts with 166.0, and my cash account starts with 101.0.  How do I
> sort the accounts, or move this one account, or if I delete it and re-create
> it, how do I control where it will show up in the list?

Gnucash sorts first by "account code" and then by "account name"
within an account group.

> 3) When I am in the account summary and I change an option, when I click OK,
> the program crashes/closes.  When I re-start it, I get an error message
> saying that someone else is using the database.  It is consistant.

What's printed on the terminal?  (you ARE running from a terminal
so you can see error output, right???)   What version of gnucash are
you using?