Profit account, crash, sort accounts

John Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Thu Nov 4 13:40:52 EST 2004

On Thursday 04 November 2004 06:26, Derek Atkins wrote:
> John Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> writes:
> > 1) How do we transfer profit to a capital account?
> > I cannot tell where the profit is being stored.
>
> The profit is computed from Income.  It is "stored" in the fact that
> you have income transactions.  It sounds like you want to "close the
> books".  Gnucash has no feature to automatically do that.  However the
> reports should deal just fine with non-zero'd accounts, so there is
> really no need to zero it out.

My objective is to move the profit to the appropriate capital account.
So if I want to move the profit to "retained earnings", what do I DR and what
do I CR?

> > 2) In order to make use of my account numbers, I am putting the account
> > numbers in the name:   "613.0 Rent"
> > Somehow a fixed asset account got to the top of my "Accounts Summary",
> > even though it starts with 166.0, and my cash account starts with 101.0.
> > How do I sort the accounts, or move this one account, or if I delete it
> > and re-create it, how do I control where it will show up in the list?
>
> Gnucash sorts first by "account code" and then by "account name"
> within an account group.

Thanks-that lead me to think that I missed entering an "account code" ofr this
account. That was it.  Thanks

> > 3) When I am in the account summary and I change an option, when I click
> > OK, the program crashes/closes.  When I re-start it, I get an error
> > message saying that someone else is using the database.  It is
> > consistant.
>
> What's printed on the terminal?  (you ARE running from a terminal
> so you can see error output, right???)   What version of gnucash are
> you using?

The program just closes.  No error message.  I am running a PC, not a
terminal.  Suse 82. gnucash 1.8.0. under kde 3.1.

John Sowden
American Sentry Systems. Inc.
1221 Andersen Drive
San Rafael, CA  94901

U.L. Listed Central Station Alarm Service
Serving the San Francisco Bay Area Since 1967

mail at americansentry.net
http://www.americansentry.net