Credit card and cash-flow

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Fri Nov 12 15:22:04 EST 2004

On Friday 12 November 2004 02:09 pm, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem. I am keeping our home accounting in GNUCash with the
> current file beginning sometimes in the March of 2003. I was asked
> yesterday by my beloved wife how much we spent on particular types of
> items. "Wonderful", I said to myself, "finally the hours I spent typing
> data in Gnucash will pay for!". Well, I cannot say that it is what
> happened. See attached Cash-flow report (used as an advice from gmane.org
> search of this newsgroup; BTW, the Czech is badly broken, but that's
> another issue, which I do not want to deal with now). After looking through
> the report I was quite surprised, that we spent just $18.40 on Dining,
> because I am positive that we spent much more than that. I thought that and
> my only conclusion is that GNUCash included all these expenses under the
> account Liabilities/Accounts Payable/Credit Card, which is partially
> correct (I paid most of our dining with the credit card), but generally
> speaking it is very much misleading, because of course I want the the
> credit card payments to be spread into different Expense accounts.

You probably misfiled your Dining extpenses.  When you enter them, they should
have one split to Liabilities/Accounts Payable/Credit Card  and the other to
Expenses/Dining.  Please verify in the Credit Card account that your
transactions filed them as such.

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/