Importing OFX/QIF Files

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Wed Nov 17 12:44:07 EST 2004

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 12:32 pm, David Frascone wrote:
> When I'm importing my information from my bank, and it's matching to an
> existing transaction, the amount should be updated by the cleared
> transaction, not the other way around.

When a transaction matches, it matches, the transaction isn't updated by the
import, except for setting the cleared flag.  In your case, the transaction
does NOT match.

> For example, I have scheduled transactions to enter my paychecks (I'm
> salaried).  By the end of the year, the paychecks are higher as some
> deductions get maxed out, so the amount of the direct deposit is higher
> than my scheduled transaction amount.  But, when I match the transaction,
> it takes the amount from the register, not from the bank.

I suppose there could be a fourth action for importing:  REPLACE.  However,
you would then loose all the breakdown of deductions and have to re-enter
them by hand.  So you may no gain any time, and maybe loose more compared to
the current way.
--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/