Fwd: Re: New user attempting installation-dependencies

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Fri Nov 26 12:06:36 EST 2004

On Friday 26 November 2004 07:29 am, Tom Capehart wrote:
> I spent quite a bit of time over Thanksgiving (I didn't miss the
> turkey though) and found the dependency problem pretty much
> insurmountable given my expertise (notwithstanding the very helpful
> Fedora.  Is there any way to ensure in advance that gnucash is
> included in the Fedora Core 3 release before downloading and
> installing it?  Should it not be, is core 2 still available?

1. FC 3 includes gnucash.  There's not a complete package list avail.
yet, but if you compare these two, you will see that it is included:

FC 2 packages: http://www.fedora.redhat.com/docs/package-list/fc2/
FC 3 changes: http://www.fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/

2. FC 2 is still available, as is FC 1, RH 9, RH 8, RH 7...
     ...for now, stick with FC 3

My opinion:  package management in Fedora/RedHat is a pain... even
with yum.  (No flames -- just my opionion.)  You *might* look into
debian.  Personally, I moved to Gentoo and I'm very happy -- but
Gentoo is not for the faint of heart.

In debian you could install gnucash by typing:

$ su
Password:
# apt-get install gnucash

It solves all the dependencies for you, downloads everything you need,
and installs all the software for you... even if it doesn't come on
the Linux install CD's.  See
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html

> Many thanks again.

You're welcome, and HTH.

--
            G a b r i e l   M .  B e d d i n g f i e l d