imbalance!!!

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 4 21:56:02 EDT 2004

Hi,

Quoting Andrew Gelvin Burley Grimes <aggrimes at ncsu.edu>:

> Hi folks --
>
> My balance sheet report is showing an imbalance of $53.96 between my
> assets and my liabilities+equity -- I'm wondering two things:
>
> 1) How could I have possibly ended up with an imbalance -- this is
> double-entry book-keeping, right?

Do you have multiple commodities (i.e. multiple currencies, stocks, mutual
funds, etc?)  Did you buy and sell?  If so, that's probably why you're not in
balance -- you didn't account for the cap-gains/losses from the change in the
commodity value between purchase and sell.

> 2) How do you recover from such a predicament?

Assuming this is the actual problem, you need to add the splits to account for
the cap-gains/losses.  Unfortunately in 1.8 you need to do this by hand.
Future versions of gnucash should handle this automatically.