imbalance!!!

Allen Ziegenfus listmail at allenz.net
Mon Oct 4 22:37:34 EDT 2004

On the fine day of Mon,  4 Oct 2004 21:56:02 -0400
Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> said very eloquently:

> > My balance sheet report is showing an imbalance of $53.96 between my
> > assets and my liabilities+equity -- I'm wondering two things:
> >
> Do you have multiple commodities (i.e. multiple currencies, stocks,
> mutual funds, etc?)  Did you buy and sell?  If so, that's probably why
> you're not in balance -- you didn't account for the cap-gains/losses
> from the change in the commodity value between purchase and sell.

I also have an imbalance in my accounts. When I tried to trace it down,
I found that it seemed to arise from some retirement mutual fund
transactions I have. Even though those transactions have fund prices
embedded in them the reports seem to use prices from the price editor
instead. Because these transactions are from before I started using
GnuCash, there are no prices on file for those dates, and so things get
out of balance.

Does that make any sense? If it's just a matter of accounting for the
gains / losses then it would be a lot easier to fix than manually
entering prices for all those old transactions.

AZ--