Help Lost data during upgrade

David J. Bakeman dbakeman at comcast.net
Mon Oct 25 15:47:10 EDT 2004

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Was it 1.4 or 1.6?  That's actually important.  You can tell pretty
>easily; 1.6 was XML, but 1.4 was binary.
>
>There have been a few reports of problems importing 1.4 datasets into
>1.8 (but importing 1.4 into 1.6 seems to be ok).  If you DO have a 1.4
>dataset and are willing to provide it to a trusted developer to make
>sure it can be properly read into 1.8, we can try to squash this bug
>once and for all and make sure that 1.8.10 doesn't have this problem.
>
>It's up to you..

Well I really would like to help but there is too much sensitive
information :<)

However, if I understand what you're saying if I could get a working
version of 1.6.x I might be able to import it into 1.6.x save it and
then re load it into 1.8 right?

In that regard what's the best way to build the 1.6.x version (also
which 1.6.x would work best?)?  I tried to build 1.6.2 and 1.6.8 but
they both complained about the lack of db 1.85 support.  I was
unsuccessful in building the old 1.85 db stuff so I tried the db 4 stuff
with compatability turned on.  This meant I had to go to 1.6.8 since
that seemed to support the compatibility mode then I had problems with
pthread being required.  So after I gave up trying to get rid of the
pthread requirement for db 4 I added -lpthread to LDFLAGS and got past
the db problem.  Now it complains about gtkhtml not being there.  So
which old version of gtkhtml do I need?

Should I just give up and reinstall rh6.2 get a 1.6.x version of gnucash
and do it that way?