gnucash pkg for Slack

Susan meltedtwix at binaryredneck.net
Tue Oct 26 21:16:13 EDT 2004

Reed Loefgren wrote:
<snip>
> Google for gnucash + Slackware. There is a website out there that covers
> your perdicament with dependencies, and does a damn good job of it too.
> You'll find there links to some stuff and lists of what you'll need to get
> gnucash up and running. It's lengthy, but quite doable; I got it right on
> the second try. Besides, you're running Slack; this sort of hoop-jumping
> should be second nature to you ;). I also seem to recall a package
> being built by some third party. But you have to look for it.

I'm well aware of how to use Google, thanks.  The problem lies in the
"lengthy" part.  I simply don't have time.  As much as I love to tinker,
I need certain essentials (like fluxbox, gnucash, Xorg, firefox, t-bird,
etc) up and running with little time and effort.  If I had time to chase
down and/or compile essential apps, I'd use SourceMage or Gentoo.

However, I have a toddler, and a job, and a husband on deployment
readiness status, and a life.  Despite popular opinion, package managers
aren't just for those who are scared of ./configure make make install,
they are also for people with lives.

<snip>
> All distros have issues. If you don't believe it search on something like
> "my mandrake is broken" or "suse won't let me". You'll get the picture.
<snip>

I realize that no distro is perfect, as much because of the
inevitability of bugs and features-not-yet-developed as because
everyone's opinion of the perfect distro is a little different.
Slackware was my first distro way back when I was a young, single
student who had time for it.  I go back every once in a while because I
miss Slack, but inevitably get turned off by the lack of available
packages.  If only there were more packages out there, and they were
kept more up-to-date, I would be a Slacker forever.

That's not the case, though, so here I trot back to Mandrake, which has
its own faults (a gui configurator that has issues when I do certain
things by hand comes to mind), but offers me the opportunity to urpmi
pretty much whatever I want whenever I need it.

Susan
(mom, Army wife, professional web monkey / code monkey, FRG volunteer,
armchair psychologist, DM/ST/GM, and adopted mom of several barracks rats)

P.S. -- Kudos to gnucash for having become so important to my sanity
that I'm willing to change distros for you. ;)