Mutual Funds Cap Gains or Dividend Reinvestment

rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com
Wed Sep 1 08:48:44 EDT 2004

Aaron,

Thinking about this further I realize that I am wrong about excluding
the reinvested shares.  I was confusing money with shares.  The reinvested
shares make up part of the current value.  So I need to find a way to report
exactly what you describe in your formula.  And I have no idea how to accomplish
that...  It's certainly not covered by either of the Portfolio reports.

Bob S.

--- rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com wrote:
Aaron,

> Yes,
I agree with your formula.  From the perspective of, "how much
> did I make
from my original investment," however, you need to exclude the
> reinvested
shares from your basis cost (cash in).

> In any case, am I correct

in my belief that there is no existing report that will do what you describe?

<prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
+0000, rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com

> > wrote:
> > > I want to know
if it is possible to get
> > > GnuCash to  show
> my reinvested cap gains/dividends
as part of my ROI (gain).
> > >  Obviously,
> if a fund has capital gains
and dividends, it is making a return
> > > on investment,
> and that is
part of the "gain" that I need to track, preferably
> > > in the
portfolio report.

> > IMO, whether the cap gains/dividends are
> reinvested
or not should be
> > irrelevant for an ROI calculation. The return
> is
the cap gain/dividend
> > when it is distributed. Reinvestment is simply

> an immediate purchase of
> > more shares using that return. So, don't
worry
> about reinvestments, the
> > ROI formula (for a single commodity)
should be