Mutual Funds Cap Gains or Dividend Reinvestment

rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com
Wed Sep 1 11:42:20 EDT 2004

Derek,

I am running ver 1.8.7.  I googled for "gnucash cvs advanced" and
found an email by you saying that a new version of the portfolio report would
be in release 1.8.8.  Do I need to upgrade?  If not, how can I find the report
in cvs.gnucash.org?  I filtered by "head" and didn't see it.  But heck, let's
face it, I don't understand the CVS thing at all.

Bob

--- Derek Atkins
<warlord at MIT.EDU wrote:
Did you try the Advanced Portfolio Report from CVS
(head)?

> -derek
>
> rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com writes:
>

> > Aaron,
> >
> > Yes, I agree with your formula.  From the perspective
of, "how much
> > did I make from my original investment," however, you need
to exclude the
> > reinvested shares from your basis cost (cash in).
> >

> > In any case, am I correct
> > in my belief that there is no existing
report that will do what you describe?
> >  Unless I am doing something wrong,
the Advanced Portfolio shows only appreciation
> > of share price.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob S.
> >

> > --- Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org

> > wrote:

GnuCash to  show
> > my reinvested cap gains/dividends as part of my ROI
(gain).
> > if a fund has capital gains and dividends,
it is making a return
> > and that is part of the
"gain" that I need to track, preferably
> > advanced portfolio
report.

> >> IMO, whether the cap gains/dividends are
> > reinvested
or not should be
> >> irrelevant for an ROI calculation. The return

is the cap gain/dividend
> >> when it is distributed. Reinvestment is simply

> > an immediate purchase of
> >> more shares using that return. So, don't
worry
> > about reinvestments, the
> >> ROI formula (for a single commodity)
should be