Reimbursable expenses

Dwight Tovey dwight at dtovey.net
Sat Sep 4 14:05:22 EDT 2004

I've recently started using GnuCash after several years of using Quicken.
Since I'm far from being an accountant, that probably means that I've got
my finances totally screwed up.  So please bear with me if I ask what are
probably totally obvious questions.

I just got back from a buisness trip where my employer is supposed to
reimburse me for everything.  However, I still have the charges on my
credit card and there will probably be at least a short delay before I'm
reimbursed.  I assume that I should create an "Accounts Receivable" asset
account, enter the charges in my CC account and set the "Transfer Account"
to this AR account?  How about when I do get the reimbursement check?
That will be deposited in my checking account.  Should it also be charged
against the AR account so that ultimatly the AR account balance will be 0?
 Finally, I've been told that next time I can get a cash advance and
return whatever I don't spend (or submit receipts for any extra that I
need).  Do I just handle this the same way?

Thanks for any suggestions - including any basic accounting principles
books that might help.

    /dwight

--
Dwight N. Tovey