Printing Invoices

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 16 11:46:34 EDT 2004

Hi,

Dominic Amann <dominic at lbs.ca> writes:

> I am trying to use Gnucash in my small business (I have been using
> Quickbooks Pro, the only program to require a Windows boot in my
> office).

Great!  That's exactly what this is supposed to do.  *smiles*

> I am doing ok so far, but there are several useability quirks.
>
> 1. I do not seem to be able to save "Options" under print invoice
> (such as no tax in each row, print all applicable taxes in the
> totals), so each time I print an invoice, I have to manually select a
> template, tell it not to print taxes and discounts in each row, and to
> print all applicable taxes in the summary.

Correct, this is bug #104156.

The way I handle this is to never close the "printable invoice"
report.  I just always leave it open with the settings I want.  Then
when I want to print a new invoice instead of using the "print" button
in the invoice window I click on the invoice tab of the main window,
click on the report options, and then select a new invoice.

> 2. The MDI/new window settings don't seem to make a difference. when
> doing invoices, I still end up with a stack of windows all over my
> screen.

I dont understand what you mean.  Do you mean the printable invoice?
Or the actual invoice window?  The actual invoice window will always
be its own window (just like a register window is always its own
window).  Once you've finished just close the window.  It wont ever go
away on its own.

> 3. The documentation for the pre-made invoice forms is pretty thin,
> and apparently somewhat out of date. I am struggling with the scheme
> to re-organize things.

Most of the documentation for the business features is pretty thin.
Patches are gladly accepted.

> 4. When printing, the page seems to break at the least provocation,
> putting as little as one line on the second sheet when there is plenty
> of border remaining.

This is a gtkhtml/gnomeprint issue, we have no control over that.

> 5. The export to pdf produces an unuseable file. Printing to
> postscript and using ps2pdf from the console works great.

This is also a gnomeprint issue over which we have no control.

> 6. I mostly work in canadian dollars, I do not want my currency
> displayed for every amount item. I have discovered that if I blank the
> customer currency field, it deals with most of it, but I still get
> "CAD" in front of the GST or PST amounts calculated in the
> summary. Perhaps there should be a single flag allowing the default
> currency to be ommited from amounts?

What's your LANG setting?  The invoice will print out assuming your
locale.  If the currencies are your locale currency then it should do
the right thing.  It sounds like you're not using the same currency as
your locale currency.

There's no way to get it to omit the currency in that case.  This is a
feature, not a bug.  Fix your locale to make it go away.

> If these things are considered bugs, do I post them here? Is there a
> bugzilla?

Have you gone to www.gnucash.org?  It's quite obvious from the
homepage.