Invoice Payments

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 17 10:26:03 EDT 2004

Hi,

Bill Broomall <billb at quantumlinux.com> writes:

> I have been using gnucash for several months now to handle our company
> accounts, and have been very happy with it thus far.
>
> Usually when I process payments I apply them directly to specific
> invoices, but in some cases it is convenient to process a customer
> payment without specifying an invoice, and let the program determine
> how best to apply payments to invoices.  Now I am discovering that the
> invoices covered by these payments are not being marked as 'paid',
> with the net effect that both invoices and payments show up on
> customer reports, and are not cleared off even though the invoice is
> paid in full.
>
> I have done a search of bugzilla and the user list archives and have
> not turned up any reports on this.  Is there a way to manually mark
> the invoices paid?

Even when you think you're applying a payment to an invoice, you're
applying it to the customer.  All payments, regardless of how they are
applied, are applied in FIFO order to the list of customer invoices.

See bugs #121420 and #139092.

So, what version of gnucash are you using?  Some people have had this
kind of problem when using early 1.8 versions, but I've never been able
to reproduce it myself (probably because it was a long-since-fixed bug).

Check your AR account and see if you have a lot of "transfer payments".
If you're using an older version of gnucash, you may need to:

- upgrade to 1.8.9
- remove all your payments
- re-apply all your payments

This is a last-resort effort, but it's something you may need to do if
you're still using something like 1.8.1 (a VERY broken version).