Reconciling account - Starting Imbalance

Bill Wisse wiswp at niue.nu
Fri Sep 17 14:13:35 EDT 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 04:58, David Brock wrote:
> Okay, last night, I went to reconcile my chequeing account against my
> statement, and although all the transactions were there, the "Opening
> Balance" on the account was off by $450 (high, IIRC), so I couldn't
> finish it.
>
> This used to happen when I used Quicken, and the only solution was to
> 'un-clear' dozens of transactions, and go back to a statement where it
> does balance, sometimes months prior, then work forward, statement by
> statement.  Normally, there was a transaction that had been reconciled
> and subsequently changed or deleted (careless clean-up, I won't pretend
> it wasn't me)  I suspect that this is the cause again.
>
> Is there some way of using the transaction logs to spot the trouble,
> instead of repeating the un-reconcile, reconcile procedure, if it is
> even possible?
>
> Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot and correct?

Hi David

As you already suggested ,it might be you. :-) esp when you had the same
problem in Quicken as well.
If the opening balance doesn't seem allright you have to go back month by
month to find your mistake, correct , and your reconciliation will be OK.

HTH.
--
The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."
- George W. Bush, January 29, 2001, Washington, DC

Greetings from
/bill at 169 west , 19 south.
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are
transmission errors."