Setting up accounts via Wizards

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 20 16:58:59 EDT 2004

Hi,

BruceG <griffisb at bellsouth.net> writes:

> 	I'd like to try again, but this time use the default GnuCash
> categories. So, how do I back out all my changes so I can start
> again from scratch? Is there a prefeences file hidden somewhere?
> Simply deleting my transactions file didn't have the effect I
> wanted.

File -> New File

> 	I also read the user manual, but am having a hard time with the idea of
> double-entry accounting - coming from an MSMoney background and using
> categories. Is there a real simple user guide? Or should I just read the
> chapter on checking accounts and credit card accounts and start from there?

Basically, all transactions shift money from one account to another.
This of Gnucash income and expense accounts as your 'categories' -- so
you need a separate account for each expense 'category' and income
'category'.  All transactions move money from between accounts, so for
example your salary will transfer $1000 from Income to Checking, and
your rent would transfer $250 from Checking to Expense:Rent.

In the 'basic register' style, just make sure you always use the
'transfer' column.  That will show you the "other" account (the open
register being the "this" account) for the transfer.

I hope this helps.