gnucash over X font problem

andy thomas andy at netstat-a.net
Thu Sep 23 02:05:55 EDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Gnome handles fonts strangely....  It's unclear whether the fonts
> are handled on the client or the server.  But this is certainly
> a font problem, I just don't know which side.  Make sure both sets
> are the same.  (I presume gnucash works fine locally, just not over
> the net?)

Yes, that's right. I've since read that gnucash 1.8 uses gtk2 which in
turn uses its own font 'engine' (meaning server?) whereas earlier versions
used gtk1. It so happens that the systems on which I ran gnucash remotely
before had gtk1 installed but not gtk2. So it looks as if gnucash 1.8
breaks the traditional X-windows model by requiring gtk2 be installed on
the remote system. This is a problem - it's a fair bit of work to install
gtk on, say, a system running Digital UNIX and really defeats the whole idea
of X-Windows client/server operation.

> Worst case you can try putting fonts into $HOME/.fonts and seeing if
> you can fix the problem that way.

I don't know what fonts gnucash actually uses: xset -q reports the same
X-Windows font paths at both ends but again I think gnucash bypasses all
the X stuff and uses gtk2 fonts. Do you know which fonts it uses?

It's not a real disaster - I could try re-installing gnucash 1.6 and
using that when I'm out & about and version 1.8 when I'm in the office. Or
use it as an excuse to finally buy myself a laptop ;-)

cheers,

Andy