gnucash over X font problem

andy thomas andy at netstat-a.net
Thu Sep 23 12:23:34 EDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Maf. King wrote:

> On Thursday 23 Sep 2004 13:39, andy thomas wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:
>

> > > Honestly, I don't know what gnucash-1.8 is doing differently than
> > > gnucash-1.6; the X/Gnome/Gtk dependencies are EXACTLY THE SAME.  This
> > > means it's a difference in the dependency provided by SuSE, not a
> > > difference in the version of gnucash or how it uses those dependencies.
> > > I.E., this is something that SuSE 9.1 does vs. SuSE 8.2 -- it has nothing
> > > to do with gnucash 1.8.
> > >

> Just a complete stab in the dark - SuSE 9.1 uses utf-8 per default (I know
> gtk-1 has problems with this) and AFAIK older SuSEs were not utf-8 enabled.
>
> Maybe character encoding is to blame?
>
> not even 2 cents worth -

Yes, UTF-8 encoding was the problem! The systems I use know nothing of
the relatively new Unicode/UTF-8 encoding and certainly have no UTF-8
fonts available to them. Changing the $LANG environment variable on
the gnucash host system from en_GB.UTF-8 to just en_GB fixed the problem
and it's all working fine now.

As the world is slowly moving towards UTF-8 as a universal font, I suppose
I will have to upgrade the other systems eventually but at least I've a
few years to do it in :-) And some of the kit may no longer be here by
then.

cheers, I owe you a pint or three (as we say in the UK)

Andy

Andy Thomas,
netstat -a llp

Tel: +44 (0)7815 060872
Fax: +44 (0)20 8372 2582
http://www.netstat-a.net

...applying the glue that holds it together